Advertise with us, click to learn how.

Advertise with us, click to learn how.
Contact abjloving@gmail.com and adesuwailuobe@gmail.com

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Art Imitating Life: To Spit Or Not To Spit

By Adesuwa

"Mtchew!" I hissed...for no reason I could see but feel. I was drenched to my skin with sweat. I looked up but Mr sun didn't oblige me that previledge...it just blinded my eyes with its smile.

I stood and surveyed the street, I was looking for 10 lockaway...

"Wetin you dey find?"

Swirling around to find a little man..midget if you like ,  sizing me up while backing the gate to the house, whose tree I was  taking shelter. "where lockaway street dey?"..."Err Goodafternoon sir" I remembered my manners.

He spat...growled and spat again.

I looked away and then looked down at myself, it must be my shoes...Lily had advised against them! Could they be that bad? They are only 5yrs old! For all I know there were the only things I had on that 'may' be nauseating...'May' because I still love them.

"Just dey waka dey go straight..take second turn by your right..u go see am" he replied

"Thank you sir"

"Ehen!" He spat again

Okay now its not about me...I can't be the reason for spitting. I  remembered primary school "catarrh, cough, tuberculosis are airborne diseases and can be spread  by spitting about,  blowing your nose in open spaces and so on!".  I remember my primary one teacher teaching us that. So why do people spit about anyway?

I mused..till I got to lockaway street, finally I found the shoe shop I was looking for...my search online proved successful.

After 3 hours, shoe bought and paid for I was happily skipping away when "kpa!" something moist landed on my already worn shoes! An okada rider had spat as he rode aand of course it landed on my sorry shoe!

"Arrghhhh"

"Aunty no vex!" A school urchin smiled "that's how they spit about"

"Ha! Okay! One should be alert o! " I was angry and he laughed "this is not a joking matter...do you know you can spread diseases by spitting?  If you are so nauseated and must spit, spit into a handkerchief or tissue paper...oh my! It irritates the very essence of my saneness!" Okay what did I just say now?

He stopped laughing...and tried to comprehend what I was saying..Obviously he is just hearing this for the first time.

I shook my head and frantically cleaned my shoes against the grass by the pedestrian walk. Maybe our bad habits are not the problem...ignorance is.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When wil u make a career out of writing? We are stil waiting o.
Jeremiah O. Sunday

Sommie said...

Heh, funny cos I can totally relate to this. I had to buy a couple of things from the market just last week. It was a rainy day too, so I was walking briskly, lost in my thoughts & kind of oblivious of the environment, when out of the blues, this bike guy that was standing right in front of me (he backed me) turned sharply & spat. I initially thought it landed on my shirt, until I saw it on the wet ground. The phlegm actually wizzed a millionth of an inch past my stomach area & landed with a thud on the floor. The guy was so remorseful that I quickly forgave him. Well, thank goodness it didn't touch me cos I don't think I could've worn that shirt again! If one MUST spit in public, I suggest he should think twice, & look around before letting fly.
Spitting in public is as unsightly as it could be repugnant. BUT the problem here is that even I, spit in public sometimes when I'm running in the morning (its natural, athletes do that a lot).
Double standards? Probably :)

Adesuwa said...

@ jeremiah..soon and very soon!

Adesuwa said...

Lol! Glad to know someone understands what am trying to say...but don't do double standards o!

Anonymous said...

I read this article with mixed feelings. First, appreciation for art in all its forms. This is good work. (You go,girl!). Secondly,disgust. Absolute. In all it's rarest forms. I find the case habit highly irritating and nauseating and annoying and 'chook-me-make-I-die_ing'. It's unfortunately common among Hausa folks..... Eeeew!maybe someday, spitting will be left to pregnant women and those with some funky disorder but till then,SAY NO TO INDISCRIMINATE SPITTING!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click to help spread the word about us