Advertise with us, click to learn how.

Advertise with us, click to learn how.
Contact abjloving@gmail.com and adesuwailuobe@gmail.com

Monday, March 25, 2013

Young and In Charge: Folajimi Olujuyigbe

In the age of social media, meeting people is a whole lot easier, meeting talented young people is one of the best things about the social media. I met our Young Person Of the Week on Instagram, and I must admit, I was blown away by his work and I knew I had to share him with you guys. Meet  Folajimi Olujuyigbe, Young Person Of The Week.

Tell us a little about yourself?
My name is Folajimi Olujuyigbe, I grew up in Ibadan, Oyo State but I live in Abuja now. I've lived here for fourteen years. I'm the first of three boys and no we didn't torment my mother...too much.



What was growing up like?
It was a lot of fun, my parents were firm as compared to strict, so I didn't get the chance to stray much, plus I was a kid who loved to play indoor and I just always thought getting in trouble was just too much TROUBLE. the brother immediately after me is a thinker...he's been writing since I can remember, he's really good if may say. The one after him can talk for Nigeria.

Tell us a little about your educational background?
I went to Oritamefa Baptist Nursery and Primary School, long name. I was at the Federal Government Academy, formerly Suleja Academy, in Suleja, Niger State. I graduated from Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State with a BSc in Demography and Social Statistics.

So what is Les Memoirs all about? What does it mean and how did the name come about?
There's a joke I always make, I say "I have a weakness for beauty, so I capture it...I'm a photographer". Don't steal, it's patented. Lol. Truly though, that's what it is, I like to capture the beautiful moments so we can always go back to those memories, hence "les Memoirs" which is French for "The Memories".

How did you go from reading Demography and Social Statistics to capturing beautiful pictures?
Truth is that I wanted to be an Engineer as a child, so I started off with Agricultural Engineering  in school and later changed. I can't brag that I'm very academic, I love to learn though.  I've always loved pictures, especially tv. Moving pictures fascinated me as a child and I got teased a lot then and this was before satellite tv was affordable, so I'd watch just about anything. My father gave me a Sony camcorder once and I recorded mainly videos I'd take a few still pictures too. One day I decided to edit a whole load of photos and give to the people I'd photographed. Most of them were so happy and seeing that joy made me happy. Plus, some people paid me, much more than it cost me to get the photos done.  #smile.

Do you see yourself mixing the both of them, Demography and Social Statistics and Les Memoirs Studios?
No, not really, except I get a job that requires taking pictures of the statics and demographics I'm supposed to be studying. If it would take me around the world though, I'd gladly accept.

What is your typical day like?
I wake up and then go back to bed, lol. The thing about my job is that I decide my working hours. Although, if I have an early shoot or event, I get out of bed early, I hate to be late. Most times though, I don't go to bed till after midnight. Editing is a major part of a photographer's life. So I'm editing or at a shoot or an event most of the time.

What do you love most about you what you do?
Freedom, there's the opportunity to breath and take time to see the beauty in everything around us and I really mean everything.

What has been your best work ever?
My best work ever will be the picture I take tomorrow, you know what they say, tomorrow never ends. Lol. To pick one photo i really like though, I'd have to say this picture of me I called "Prayer". It's one that a lot of people connect with.

What are the difficulties involved?
Difficulties? For one it's people who think that all photographers are uneducated, unrefined secondary school dropouts who had no choice but to pick up a camera. Second I'd say because photography equipment and knowledge are expensive, some clients aren't ready to pay what it takes or would rather get a cousin with a point and shoot camera to take pictures, because everyone has a camera on their phone or tablet. The awareness for quality photographs is coming back and more people appreciate the difference in getting someone who knows what they are doing.

If you weren't doing this, what would you have been doing?
If this means what's plan "B" I'd say a job with UNICEF, WHO or some other big company, but in reality, with the condition in Nigeria, I'd probably be at home frustrated that I can't get a job.

Have you ever felt like giving up on Les Memoirs Studios?
Yes, at the beginning, before i really committed, because I wasn't sure that the thing I loved to do would be appreciated enough to bring money in. Thank heavens it is, lol.

Who or what inspires you?
Who? I'd have to say my father, because he helped guide me and he kept encouraging. As to "What?", I'd have to say Beauty, the beauty you can see in anything, if you look at it from the right angle and in the right light, lol.

Considering the level of success you have attained, youths out there would be itching to know how old you are.
I'm a late bloomer, I'm thirty years old, late bloomer because I didn't find my passion until a few years ago.

Asides work, what do you do for fun?
I love watching movies, hate doing it alone though. I love swimming, not a fan of reading sadly. I love music, especially rock songs and I have a tendency to try to make people laugh.

Advice to youths that wish to follow in your footsteps.
Find your passion, everyone has a God given talent that will them happy and that they will excel at.

Where do you see yourself and Les Memoirs Studios five years from now?
Five year plan, a really nice studio and some level of specification, glamour/fashion, weddings and portraiture. A couple of international exhibitions. I'd also like to travel to capture breath taking scenes and cultures.

Picture time.



























Folajimi can be reached through the following means:
Email: lesmemoirsstudios@gmail.com
Twitter: @jimi_chu
Phone: +2348037866970, +2348076254357




69 comments:

theFiliac said...

Wow. This is abslolute awesomeness. Nice blog, nice interview and lovely photos. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

FANTABULOOUSO! If there is any word like dat. always known you would go places. seee U at the top brova XO

Anonymous said...

FANTABULOOUSO! If there is any word like dat. always known you would go places. seee U at the top brova XO

rolake said...

Yay! Snap on! Camera click*

reglin said...

Lovely...thumbs up

Terdoo said...

Jimi,congrats!The sky is yours,keep soaring,IJN,amen!

Anonymous said...

Am a fan of your work. Great pics

Dad & Mum said...

Wow!... This is for real. 'Proud of you son. We've always known you were special. You' got the deal. Thank you for being you.

Folajimi 'les Memoirs" Olujuyigbe said...

Thank you, will keep going.

Folajimi 'les Memoirs" Olujuyigbe said...

I'm sure there's no word like that, lol, see you at the top

Folajimi 'les Memoirs" Olujuyigbe said...

Click click, snap snap snap, lol. Thanks a lot.

Folajimi 'les Memoirs" Olujuyigbe said...

Thanks so much

Unknown said...

Nice one Jimi... I've always been a fan of your work.

Unknown said...

Welldone jimmy choo! Keep the fire burning..the sky is only the beginning!

Anonymous said...

Nice one Jimi! Keep it up. Who knows? Maybe I'll have a job for you soon *winks*-Outeee

angela oribs said...

Nice one....keep up the good job *wink*

Folajimi les Memoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Thanks, amen and amen.

Folajimi les Memoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

Folajimi les Memoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Thank you so much, couldn't have done any of this without your support and encouragement, I really appreciate you both. Love you so much.

Folajimi les Memoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Thanks Kene, you are too kind

Folajimi les Memoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Thanks Joy, for believing in me.

Mia said...

So proud right now :D Congrats, hon! The best is yet to come.

Folajimi les Memoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Thanks a lot Angie, will do.

Folajimi les Memoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Awwww, thanks, the best is definitely yet to come.

Anonymous said...

Nice one dear keep it up. Wish u d best

eclectictope said...

Yooooooo Jimi Choo. It doesn't matter if you discovered your talent late. I think that you discovered it is enough. And I am very very proud. This is the least you can be sha. So don't get comfortable. *winks*

Folajimi les Memoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Thank you, will keep at it.

Folajimi les Memoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Thanks so much Tope. Won't get too comfortable, lol.

Folajimi les Memoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Thanks, I pray you do.

Grace Agba said...

Beautiful!!! Good job Jimi. U're doing great!

Lanre (Ola Abdul) said...

Thumbs up cuz. Really proud of you. More grease to your elbow and more of Gods grace on you.

Folajimi les Mesmoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Thank you so much, I'm glad to hear that.

Folajimi les Mesmoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Thanks sis,amen and amen.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Jimi, the sky is ur spring board! See u at the top. Let beauty continue 2 inspire u o 'wink'

Folajimi les Memoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Thanks a lot, see you at the top. Lol, yes o, beauty is my inspiration.

Anonymous said...

cool bro

Anonymous said...

One of a kind........ *thinking

O'seyi said...

Well done bro! Big Kiss...

Alao Adebisi said...

"Late Bloomer" hmm. My friend Jimi made a great joke out of that statement. I don't think he bloomed late. Right on time, his moments caught on camera, one can easily say, shows a great deal about a person who is more into beauty than pictures. I dare say that you can barely find a photographer who is into beauty: this is my definition of Jimi_Chu.

Folajimi les Memoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Thanks, so much.

Folajimi les Memoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Thanks, kiss kiss

Folajimi les Memoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Wow, Adebisi, you made my day, thanks. You are far too kind. Thanks again bro.

Anonymous said...

Nice 1 Jimi.keep it up!!!!!

damilola adeyemi said...

Simply awesome..keep it going,no holds no limits.

Folajimi les Memoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Thank you so much, will definitely keep at it.

DataAegle said...

Wow! This is absolutely amazing. Well done, Jimi. This is only the beginning. Wish u all d best!

DataAegle said...

Wow! This is absolutely amazing. Well done, Jimi. This is only the beginning. Wish u all d best!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work. Beautiful soul. Keep up the good work Jimi. It can only get better from here...

Folajimi les Memoirs Olujuyigbe said...

It feels good to hear that, thank you so much

Folajimi les Memoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Will do, thanks a lot.

Folajimi les Memoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Amen, thanks for the kind words.

ndatse said...

Thoughtful and inspiring! A lovely person to work with.

Folajimi les Mesmoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Very kind words, thank you very much.

Unknown said...

Absolutely impressive. You've always proven to be a person of constructive purpose. Keep it up.

Unknown said...

Absolutely impressed. Not surprised. You've always proven to be a person of constructive purpose.

Unknown said...

Absolutely impressive. Young man with constructive purpose. Keep it up.

Unknown said...

Absolutely impressive. Jimi is sure heading for the top of the tops.

Unknown said...

Absolutely impressive. Jimi is sure a young man of constructive purpose.

Anonymous said...

wow, boss. thats extremely cool. i cant wait to see you on moments with mo soon.

NIKY ADE said...

Absolutely impressive. Young man of constructive purpose.Keep it up.

Folajimi les Mesmoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Thank you so much for the vote of confidence in me.

Folajimi les Mesmoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Thank you, far too kind.

Folajimi les Mesmoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Thanks a lot, I'm glad you appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

A display of commitment and passion for what you believe in.Nigeria needs more of your type.Keep it up Jimi.

Folajimi les Memoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Thank you very much, your words make me want to keep going, I pray more people chase their passions. Thanks again.

Bamgbala Ayo a.k.a Wheezy said...

...Need I say more? I fink I just found my wedding Photographer ;p...remember we are cousins oo,so plenty plenty discount :D...kudos to u bruv. Keep up d gud work.

Folajimi les Memoirs Olujuyigbe said...

Thanks cos, lol, yes oh,discounts de, I dunno bout plenty plenty sha? Thanks a lot.

Anonymous said...

I know Jimi as a person and I really love his creative ideas. He took the first picture for my clothing line and guess where it was taken, in a junk yard. The pictures turned out smashingly great and I still do love and appreiate them anytime I look at them.
He know exacctly what he is doing with photography and where he wants to take it to, I sincerely appreciates his originality. Thank you Jimi for everything and I thank God for your gift.

Sesan.

Anonymous said...

Jimi, you are yet to see places and the money are just trickling in now, but t'will come as a flood. Well done, glad to brag that i know you.
Rahina

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click to help spread the word about us