Advertise with us, click to learn how.

Advertise with us, click to learn how.
Contact abjloving@gmail.com and adesuwailuobe@gmail.com

Monday, November 11, 2013

Young and In Charge: Christiana Essie Amissah

With a message of love and hard work, our Young Person of the Week promises to be a very inspirational read. A combination of hard work and focus has gotten this young entrepreneur to where she is today. Meet our very inspirational Young Person of the Week, Christiana Essie Amissah.

Tell us a little about yourself?
My name is Christiana Essie Amissah, born Ghanaian, raised Nigerian, though my mom is a Nigerian too. Last of two children. I have a loving elder brother. I am presently an Undergraduate at the University of Benin where I am studying law. I also own and run Christy’s Confectionery.




What was growing up like?
Wow! Growing up for me was so much fun; we are a close knit family. And being the baby of the house I was dotted on and still am (gives a shy smile). That practically sums it up; I had a fairy tale childhood. I have a wonderful grandma who still hands down to me lots and lots of cookery books, we would sit and knit the whole day. These are part of the things that formed my love for the art.

Tell us a little about your educational background?
I started off at International Home school in Benin City, there after I attended Federal Staff School, Benin, a while later, I attended University Staff School, Benin where I wrapped up my primary education. I then proceeded to Presentation National High School for my secondary education. Upon graduation I got admitted into the University of Benin to study Linguistics and African Languages, and I am presently back at the University of Benin studying Law, aside that I have 3 international French diplomas

What was it like growing up as a Ghanaian in a different country? Were you treated differently in school or in the environment where you were raised?
Well, I’ll say I had it just like every other kid growing up really. I haven’t ever really seen myself as alien to the Nigerian society, especially the Edo people, because my mum hails from Edo state. The only thing I recall that made my heart cringe was when my classmates would make fun of my Ghanaian name ESSIE (which is pronounced A C), they would chant after me and call me Air Conditioner, and then gradually outside the home front I just bore my English name Christiana, that way it was easier for everyone.

Did you experience any cultural shock? Having Ghanaian roots with Ghanaian traditions how was it like mixing it with Nigerian/Bini traditions?
Like I said earlier, growing up my parents did a very good job guiding and letting us see early enough and in a guided environment the cultural variations, so going out and seeing, you know didn’t come as altogether shocking as it were. Most especially because, growing up, the nature of my dad’s job gave us the opportunity to move around quite a lot during the holidays. So I would not exactly say there was any “CULTURAL SHOCK” as it were really.

What motivated your decision to read law, even after a first degree in linguistic?
I see myself as an opinionated young lady and a go getter. My grandfather was a Judge and I had so much love and respect for the profession. I said to myself as I kid that I wanted to be a part of that profession, so I guess I am just being true to childhood dream.

So lets talk about cooking, what inspired you to start cooking professionally?
Cooking for my dad means being precise, attentive, and always careful with technique, so that formed the foundation for my inspiration to go professional, coupled with the fact that I got lots of positive feedback from friends and neighbours I had cooked for. This coupled with the practicals I had with my grandma growing up, sparked the IT in me

Do you make use of your linguistic degree presently?
Well, yes if I may say. We learn things and they are constantly a part of us, but if you mean me sitting behind a desk and continuously writing out my lecture notes on a piece of paper....nah

So what is your typical day like?
Hmmmm...that’s a tricky one. Every day is unique in its own way, comes with varied challenges and huddles to tackle, well, a typical none school day would be, waking up, morning prayers, the gym and a session with my students, so that is as regular as it gets

What do you love most about what you do?
First off, what I love most about what I do, is that I love what I do. That for me is the foundation. Then also the fact that I am my own boss, so I can push myself and drag myself to ends I never knew existed, and then again I love the satisfaction that comes from a satisfied customer...that to me is HEAVENLY. The moment when it dawns on you that the stress and tension paid off. I bring myself and the things I have learned. I just want to do my best.

What are the difficulties involved?
Hehehehhehehe, nothing good comes easy, and nothing is ever truly easy. I decide to look at them more like huddles to scale, that way it feels like all you need do is leap. There is the huddle of a disgruntled customer; there is the huddle of more complex creations,

Have you ever felt like giving up on your dreams?
Yes! Yes!! Yes!!! The road to success is narrow and very unattractive, but somehow the grace of God has been more than sufficient.

Linguistics, cooking and now Law, it must take a lot of courage and dedication to follow your dreams, where do you draw your strength and inspiration from?
True! Very true!! Very challenging indeed. I cannot over emphasis the grace of God, and support of my family. They understand my vision and assist in whatever way they can to make it a reality. That is where my strength springs from.

You have achieved a lot for someone so young, we are all itching to know how old you are?
Well, you answered the question yourself while asking. I am young and old. (laugh), so that would be old enough, but young indeed.

Where do you see yourself and Christy’s Confectionery five years from now?
Wow!! Five years. By the grace of God Christy’s Confectionery would be a household name.

Asides work, what do you do for fun?
I read a lot, that for me is loads of fun, I play lawn tennis when I can find the time to. I love to travel, singing makes my eyes sparkle as well, I love languages too, FRENCH and MANDARIN takes the lead for me and most importantly I love to work as a volunteer for NGOs when I have the opportunity to, the job of giving without expectation that crowns it all up for me.

How do you intend to bring about change in Nigeria with what you do?
Empower as many as I am fortunate to, God giving me strength.

What is your advice to young people who wish to follow in your footstep?
My advice is that if you want something so bad, you have to push yourselves to the limitless ends. Most importantly do not rest on your oars, hone your skills and keep abreast with latest trends. Working with your hands does not make you less than you are, it is not a thing for the uneducated, and it does not mean that you are unintelligent. Keep pushing and believing, with God on your side, all things are possible.

Are there any other hidden talents/passions we should know of?
I guess...but this would suffice for the now

Picture! Picture!! Picture!!!






You can contact her through the following means:
Twitter - https://twitter.com/C_confectionery
Facebook - https://m.facebook.com/ChristysConfectionery?refid=48
Mobile number - 08184714905
Pin- 22BDCEBC

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww...Christiana!! Great stuff you have going for you right there. God bless you abundantly and reward your efforts with immense success.

Nkemjika said...

nice one... hope young folks would find her inspiring because she is awesome. many skills up her sleeves

Ivy Ossai said...

God bless

Ivy Ossai said...

I was so excited when i saw this link. Christy is truly awesome. BOSS!!! Even though she frowns at me for calling her boss, thanks for honing my skills and empowering me, in all the ways you have. A dear mentor, and friend. God bless you now and always

Anonymous said...

Truly an inspiration. Where is Christy's Confectionery? Abuja?

Cyril said...

Pretty and handy. a rare combination. More grace Christy

Anonymous said...

contact please...

Dorcas said...

Does Christy's Confectionery offer a training programme and whats the duration?

Unknown said...

very nice Christy....you will go places and achieve even more resounding succesesssss!!!!

Pheee said...

Benin

Pheee said...

Twitter - https://twitter.com/C_confectionery
Facebook - https://m.facebook.com/ChristysConfectionery?refid=48
Mobile number - 08184714905
Pin- 22BDCEBC

Pheee said...

You could ask her, these are her contact details:
Twitter - https://twitter.com/C_confectionery
Facebook - https://m.facebook.com/ChristysConfectionery?refid=48
Mobile number - 08184714905
Pin- 22BDCEBC

Blessing said...

My Boss! My Boss!! My Boss!!! exceptional young lady. Its you humility that blows my mind away.

Tunde Rafiu said...

True word!!! Being handy does not make you less that you truly are. With all you educational qualifications....im in awe of how you manage it all. Big ups girls

Unknown said...

I truly am proud of you.

Unknown said...

I am truly proud of you. More grace and success

Unknown said...

Christy!!! Mummy is proud of you and would give you all the support you need. God bless you daughter

Unknown said...

Christy!!! Mummy is proud of you and would give you all the support you need. God bless you daughter

Unknown said...

I am marveled and humbled. thanks for all the comments. It can only be God.

Salsa said...

May the labour of your hands increase

Unknown said...

Thank you so much. i am humbled and grateful.

Unknown said...

AMEN!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks. it can only have been God

Unknown said...

Ivy!!! I am humbled. You are one focused and talented young lady i know. the sky is only your spring board.

Unknown said...

We do, call our number or drop us a message on our page and lets us know what it is you are looking at and we would let you know our package options.

Unknown said...

Blushing! AMEN MUM

Unknown said...

What can i say? Thank you so much.

Ugochi Ofili said...

such a talent, driven and focused indeed

Anonymous said...

Iana!!!! I'm soo super proud of you, doll! 😚 Love...J

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click to help spread the word about us