Advertise with us, click to learn how.

Advertise with us, click to learn how.
Contact abjloving@gmail.com and adesuwailuobe@gmail.com

Monday, March 31, 2014

Young And In Charge: Aderonke Ogunleye

I remember meeting Ronke at an interview and we got chatting about things we were doing with our lives, things that we love doing. I remember thinking that she was very inspirational especially with her helping kids through sports. From reading Economics to becoming a journalist, to being a philanthropist to to being a change agent, Ronke is all sorts of inspirational. I hope you enjoy her interview as much as I do, I hope it inspires you.

Tell us a little about yourself.
As you know, my name is Aderonke Ogunleye a journalist, a philanthropist, change maker and an African.

 



What was growing up like?
Growing up for me was fun, I grew up with my parents in the midst of uncles and brothers, my house was always bubbling there was never a dull moment. When I was not studying my lesson notes, you would find me curled up in a corner reading Mills & Boons or any of Hardly Chase books. However, I participated in all sporting activities within the house and the neighborhood.

Tell us a little about your educational background.
I am an academician, I hold a Bsc in Economics, MBA in Human resource management and I am on my third degree studying Peace studies and conflicts resolution. I have several other certificates which I obtained online; apart from my third degree I am undergoing training at the united nations peace operations training institute.

Economics and journalism are on two different ends of the career world, what inspired your move to become a journalist?
I am passionate about journalism, I have been practicing since my university days, but i just started operating on a professional level. I want to be a voice and I love being a journalist.

Sports journalism is an area that is mostly dominated by men; there are so few ladies in that area, what was the attraction?
My childhood has a great influence on my love for sports. My love for sports itself is so much more that I cannot explain it. I root for sports development and sports for development.

What challenges did you face when you decided to become investigative sports journalist, how accepting were your family members?
My Dad especially is indifferent, he forced me into studying Economics,  I originally wanted to study Communications and language arts but now as an adult I am free to follow my dreams he is supportive.
I have been victimized by colleagues, for example a guy was even paid to write lies about me on the social media the same person went ahead to publish false news about me just to give me a bad name just  because of my love for digging out the truth, it was that bad, but unfortunately it did not make any difference, on the contrary it didn’t make me look bad at all because I was getting feedback from people that they know cooked up stories when they see one. However some sports administrators see me as a threat they feel I am up to revealing some things about them and they are always careful around me, the good thing about investigative journalism is that facts from anonymous person fall on your laps and your inbox, you don’t have to go about looking for evidence, but I have been careful all along.


You recently won the prestigious Wole Soyinka award for investigative journalism, wow, congratulations are in order. How did you feel when you were announced the winner, has it had any impact on you and your work?
It is a great thing for you to be recognized and appreciated. When I received the mail I was really shocked and at the same time happy and I say to myself it can only be God. Yes it has made lots of positive impacts in my life, open doors and all of that. I am thankful.

What do you love most about what you do?
Being a voice, it is a big privilege to be a journalist. It helps you meet people, doors opening and recognition.

What are the difficulties encountered, what is the risk involved?
Sometimes getting attention, some people feels journalist are beggars, being maligned even by envious colleagues is one of the many risk involved. I have been warned severally to be careful as an investigative journalist and I know better, naturally I pay attention to details I don’t move around anyhow and I calculate all my moves, lol. You can be set up to be beaten, kidnapped, or even murdered. I believe in whatever one does there’s one risk or the other one has to just add precaution.

What has your experience been like in the industry?
I have been betrayed by some, especially close allies, I have been applauded, snubbed, appreciated, celebrated as well, no regret so far, I am learning every day. No one can understand me like me that is what I always tell people, do not assume for me because you don’t know me.

You have been going to schools to inspire young children, what do you stand to achieve?
Well, it is my joy to be the reason why someone is smiling and I am happy those dreams are coming to pass. I am only using my love for sports to help development, I want to help the future generation; sometimes I use my own life experience to teach them, my successes, my mistakes and lessons to put them in the right path, I speak to at least 4 children in a day some of them flash me and I call back to advise them, some call to give me good news on their academics and lifestyle, I have been able to speak to some parents to enlighten them on the dangers of early marriage and show them the beauty in education. There are many several success stories, I thank God.

Sports for development, what are your targets?
It is all about using the power in sports to inspire young adults, school children, you get their attention more on the field of play, we have fun to learn that is the whole idea, I have carried out several projects from sport for hope with those living with special needs, to sports tackling child marriage to inspire girls in Nigeria, and smart up girls, we have carried out several campaigns on HIV, TB etc.

Who have you worked with?
I have worked with Mikel Obi of Chelsea/Super eagles, we had a meeting with the executive director of UNAIDS at the Hilton in Abuja on the way forward with sports for development especially the HIV/AIDS awareness. I have also worked with John Utaka, other projects are underway especially with Al farouk amiinu of the D Tigers/New Orleans Pelican all on the road to use the power in sports for development.

Have you ever felt like giving up on your dreams?
No, never!

Who or what motivates you?
Creative thinking, hardworking fellas, honesty and bluntness to an extent. Who motivates me? Hmm my parents are great people then maybe some of my senior colleagues in Journalism, Musikilu Mojeed, Dapo Olorunyomi, Taiwo Obe, Amma Ogan, Samm Audu, Tunde Aderibigbe, Omoyele Sowore these are great journalists amongst others, fearless people whom I emulate and of course I want to be better than them.

What is your typical day like?
Hmmm I really don't have one oh, it depends. I wake up at 6am every morning, goes to bed not later than 12 midnight, some days I will just stay at home and watch movies/read all through.

What do you do for fun?
Music, dancing (I am a good stepper), watching documentaries, reading biographies, I love to watch reality TV, they are my favourite and of course fashion/style network. I visit the spa regularly and swim at least twice a week it calms my nerves.

How do you intend to bring about change with what you do?
By being a role model, I want to use myself as an example for people to learn from that is all.

With your level of success, everyone is itching to know how old you are.
I was born in the 1980s

A word of advice to young Nigerians with dreams that they are yet to fulfil.
There’s a little birdy inside you telling you what to do, listen to your instinct at all-times, trust me it cannot fail you, you are your own best friend, flee self-deceit get real with yourself. Follow your dreams with all your energy, be watchful and prayerful, don’t relent, don’t only work hard, work smart and get your priorities right.

Where do you see yourself, personally, as a sports journalist and as a philanthropist in five years?
A successful journalist, a doctorate degree holder, a politician, a change maker and of course by then some of the children that I’m sponsoring their education will be out of primary school and secondary school respectively, I can’t wait to attend their graduation ceremony. I should be where God really wants me to be, we can only wish all answers are in God’s hands.

Now for some pictures.





















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is highly incredible. What a good idea from u

Nkemjika said...

Ronke's story is quite encouraging for some of us struggling to engage in our passion. May I commend her for pursuing a factor which on a larger scale unifies and strengthen the fibres that make this country stronger, Sport. Continue to give Nigerians and sport enthusiast the fact behind some decisions and you surely know we are always grateful. Thanks to ALAL... enjoyed this piece!

Unknown said...

Lovely hope to meet such a positive minded person like you someday we need youths for a change in this country..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click to help spread the word about us