Advertise with us, click to learn how.

Advertise with us, click to learn how.
Contact abjloving@gmail.com and adesuwailuobe@gmail.com

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Better Nigeria: The Price Of Change

BY IPHIE OBIECHINA

What price are you willing to pay to ensure that the change you want to see in Nigeria is a reality? We go on and on about how we need things to change in Nigeria and in the same breath we support actions that have left us where we are today. We say we want change but by our actions and sometimes our words show otherwise. We pay lip service to the idea of change without putting in any work to bring about that change.
I recently had to visit Aero’s Ticketing office in Abuja and so I drove to Transcorp Hilton, where they have a ticketing desk. Getting a place to pack was proving difficult as it was one of those nights when an occasion was being held in one of their halls. I drove into a road that was marked entry, it had a sign to show this and it also had the markings on the road that clearly showed it was for entry. To my surprise, another driver was on the same road trying to exit, I stopped and asked that he do the right thing by going back, instead he started insisting that I was wrong for not waiting for him to pass. Unfortunately for him, due to the lack of parking space, cars were parked on the road and so he couldn't manoeuver his way out, we were both stuck there until one of us was willing to budge. I was willing to stay there until he did the right thing, I just moved out of the way so other cars would be able to drive out.

We stayed there for quite a while before he eventually tried to manoeuver his way out and eventually hit his car slightly. The security guard in charge of the section eventually decided that he was ready to do the job he was being paid for. He asked me to make way so that he could drive out; I politely declined and told him to please ask the guy to do the right thing. He spoke to him and he eventually did the right thing after sometime. There were insults from a few lips, but I was bent on making my point. Few seconds later I was faced with the same problem again, but this time it was a lady behind the wheels. This ‘lady’ called me all sought of unprintable names, but I still stood my ground and told her to do the right thing. More insults followed, but eventually she was told to do the right thing and she did.

I didn’t set out to make a point; if I am honest I was just annoyed at first with the arrogance with which he was doing something wrong. It eventually turned into a lesson of what was right and what was wrong. It turned into a lesson for me the teacher and for my unwilling students. I learned that night, that for what you believe in, for what is right, you would suffer a lot of insults and prosecution from those bent on doing the wrong thing. I learned that night that to ensure that the right things gets done, you have to be willing to take the insults and prosecutions. Grow a tough skin and hopefully your message would eventually be understood and accepted. At some point, I started to ask myself if I wasn’t being unnecessarily difficult, I wanted to just give in and give way for him to pass, but I didn’t. I learned that, as long as you were in line with what the law provides, the necessary authorities would always be on your side.

The decision to bring about change comes with a lot of hurdles and challenges from people who like the way things are. There would always be people who would ask why you think your special, they would make things difficult for you. Sometimes your worst enemy might even be yourself, you find yourself sabotaging your efforts out of fear. My little experience made me wonder how a great woman like Dr Dora Akunyili was able to make such an impact in our society. I wonder how she handled the betrayal, insults and prosecutions that came with her decision to be different from the pack. I wish she were alive today so I could ask her these questions, it would be really interesting to understand how she handled it.

Most time we sing about change because we think it is going to be an easy road to take, but the truth is it wouldn’t be. It is decision that would come with a lot of self sacrifice, a lot of insults, a lot of perseverance, a lot of distractions, prosecutions, belt tightening, a lot of betraying family and friends to ensure you do what you think is right. When you decide to bring about change in your society, you should ask yourself if you are strong enough to take all the ‘negatives’ that come with it. 

I faced this much resistance and insults when I tried to make adults do the right thing while driving.
Imagine what you would face when you try to change the rot in the Nigerian system, it is going to be difficult but it can be done. We must all be ready to take whatever comes with the decision to make our country and selves better.


2 comments:

Amaka Agbo-Anike said...

Ipheee I really enjoyed the drama I could imagine both drivers saying to themselves, 'who is this young lady to tell us what to do'. Well there's no easy way to heaven or short cuts to Aba in Abia state. Change doesn't come by shouting but by doing. Bravo gal am sure Prof. Dora will be saying where she is- at least I rebranded Nigeria and here is my prove-you-Iphee.

John said...

Nice Writeups!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click to help spread the word about us