Advertise with us, click to learn how.

Advertise with us, click to learn how.
Contact abjloving@gmail.com and adesuwailuobe@gmail.com

Friday, October 10, 2014

Flight

By Adesuwa Iluobe

I woke up at exactly 3.45am. I confirmed the time on my phone and laid down again. I was to catch a 6.45am flight to Port Harcourt today, the cab man I had arranged the previous day to take me to the airport would soon come, I had asked him to come at 4.30am. He was always on time.

As I stepped into the bathtub, something hurt in my heart... it's true Yetunde is gone. I saw her face in my mind's eye. She died on Tuesday, I and my classmates were in shock. why would death choose such a calm, beautiful woman?
My eyes ached, because I did not sleep until 12.30am. Why? I was scared. In the past two weeks, Ella has lost her Dad, Bella lost her brother, Smart too just departed  and now Yetunde...these were all happening  to my friends/classmates...groomed in the same class at the University of Abuja for 6 years. Then we met again at law school. I was about flying to Port Harcourt?


Fear set in deep inside me. I got ready, checked my things and woke up everyone and they saw me to the cab. I shuddered as I went into the car, What if I never see my family again?
"Good morning aunty!" the driver greeted
"Good morning sir...how is your family..." we exchanged pleasantries. As soon as I settled in I grabbed my rosary. My heart was beating so fast, I held my chest. Must I travel today? If I die my office would recruit another company secretary o! I could lie... the plane left me.
I sighed. I did not know it was a loud one.
"Aunty? What are you thinking of?" the driver was concerned.
I went on to tell him about my classmates and he tried to sympathise with me. Soon the car was quiet again.
By the time we got to the airport, and I had paid the driver and gotten my boarding pass, the question came again, Adesuwa must you travel today?!

I walked slowly to the waiting lounge and went through my phone, BBM was agog with pings, emotions were high on the 04 class group about the spate of deaths recently experienced.
Then I saw Yetunde's picture, Wura used it as her display picture. In it Yetunde smiled and was with her two beautiful kids. I whispered "your Mummy is gone...am so sorry". They could not hear me. I set the picture as my display picture on BBM.

In about 10 minutes we were called to board, Arik did not delay today. This is a sign, this is not normal! Still I got up and went to board. I called Mum. I forgot to let her know I was travelling when we spoke yesterday. Who knows...the plane could fall from the sky and it would be my last. She prayed for me and asked that I call when I land. Shebi if I land? Hmmm.

As the air hostess directed us to our seats, I could not help the questions in my head, "Hey Miss! you sure there ain't a bomb in this plane?" " who is the Pilot? Can he fly?"
As I sank into my seat and fastened my seat belt, I noticed that the engines were louder than normal..I gripped my seat and sighed deeply. Of all days..I did not have a seat partner.
My phone rang. It was Charles. Charles was my classmate at University of Abuja and law school. "Adesuwa! Where you dey? Wait what's making noise like radio?"
"Am travelling to PH, I just boarded..they are making announcements"
"Hmm! Pray psalm 121 wherever you are now! That's why I called"
"Why?!"
"Just do it! I will tell you later"
I paused "Okay. Later then"
Ha! It has been confirmed. It's my turn. Would anyone miss me? I darted my eyes to the man at the far end, he looked calm. He probably didn't know that we could be seeing our creator today.
I opened my Bible on my phone fast, and prayed Psalm 121.
I looked around for something to hold, and took up my phone again. I went to whatsapp this time and wrote:
"I was just thinking..in as much as we want to die peacefully.. how ready are we. After peaceful painless demise what next? Long suffering in hell or bliss in heaven? No matter what, we all take life for granted. We want the wrong things thinking there is time to ask GOD for forgiveness. We just don't know when.." Then I sent it to Seun.
He replied " Okay have a safe flight ".

I guess he must think I am insane or was he scared too and was just holding off as strong? Or was his faith deeper than I thought? "...have a safe flight" despite what I had sent? If the worst happens...I can imagine that he will be like "and I bought her the ticket!!!" because he did indeed. I wanted to tell him he sounded cold, but then I said that yesterday already and probably he had 'work' on mind this morning. Enough! I did not reply but switched off my phone.

We took off.
I waited for the plane to explode but it didn't. I was shaking. Maybe it will when we are high up or landing?
I looked out the window...the clouds were whiter than usual, with light blue base...they reminded me of GOD. In all my fears and worries I forgot.
GOD is alive. Only HIM knows why sometimes we laugh and then we cry. Only HIM knows why crying hurts more. I remembered a part in the book of Isaiah in chapter 57 from verse 17 (I suck at memorising scriptures), there Isaiah prophesied that we would live over 100 years and those of us who die at 100 years would be considered young..
It's been my Bible verse since 2013. I tell this fact to those who care to listen.
Sleep soon took me.
The Pilot's voice woke me up much too soon..we were preparing to land. I started thanking GOD for all I had in my life, even for the perceived bad things and for this flight so far.
"Hello? Good morning...check the file!..." I had since landed and was in a taxi making my way into Port Harcourt city. My colleague was calling from Abuja .
Yes, I did not die. Life continues and work too. 
I thought of the departed..and prayed a silent prayer for them and begged GOD to have mercy on us who are alive.
My phone beeped..it was a whatsapp message from Seun.
"U in PH I guess?"
"Yes. Like 20 minutes ago. The longest flight of my life. Thank GOD I am alive".


N.B I dedicate this to Ella, Bella. Smart's family, the Ayoub's family (Yetunde's family) and to all 04s (University of Abuja Law class of 2004) who are grieved today. GOD is with us. We will smile again.

 
Source: Xinhuanet.com

3 comments:

Adesuwa said...

Of all the things I have read off the Internet this year this one touched me the most. Over the past years I have been dealing with loss and taught to myself that I now handle it well(something that has to do with your maturity as a Christian), but lately especially in the last two months I am in doubt of how well I handle the pain that loss brings. May God please console the family these our loved ones left behind in Jesus name Amen. And spear us who are alive and give us the strength not to live in fear off death but according to his will for us so that in the end it will be heaven at last. Agbo - Anike Amaka.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Dis got me thinking abt everytin, dat @ every seconds in our life, we hav to make our peace wit God. RIP yetunde.

Anonymous said...

Of all the things I have read off the Internet this year this one touched me the most. Over the past years I have been dealing with loss and taught to myself that I now handle it well(something that has to do with your maturity as a Christian), but lately especially in the last two months I am in doubt of how well I handle the pain that loss brings. May God please console the family these our loved ones left behind in Jesus name Amen. And spear us who are alive and give us the strength not to live in fear off death but according to his will for us so that in the end it will be heaven at last. Agbo - Anike Amaka.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click to help spread the word about us