Advertise with us, click to learn how.

Advertise with us, click to learn how.
Contact abjloving@gmail.com and adesuwailuobe@gmail.com

Monday, February 24, 2014

Young and In Charge: From Job Hunter to Employee

By Iphie Obiechina

Today as I headed to work, I got thinking about young graduates like me who are still job hunting and decided to come up with a strategy on how to make us more employable. Yes I am still on the job market as work for now with a law firm where I served (NYSC). On my return from the UK where I acquired a Master’s Degree, the Principal Partner was kind enough to let me back in, until I find my dream job. After careful thoughts and considerations, before the close of work, I was able to come up with some ideas that could make undergrads and graduates appealing to possible employers. I wish I knew what I know now, but it is never too late to start.

Take your Academic Pursuits Seriously

As an undergrad, you have the opportunity to make a good result while you are still in school. You have an opportunity to get it right the first time, so take it. Most employers are more interested in what your grade is in your first degree, than in what else comes after it. I have filled out a lot of forms online where I was asked about my first degree grades, but they never make provisions for my grade in Law School and they are definitely not interested in whether I graduated with a distinction, merit or pass for my Master’s Degree.
STUDY! STUDY!! STUDY!!! It’s in your best interest.

For the graduates, it’s never too late! I know a couple of people who are going for a second degree because they didn’t get it right the first time around. Be it Master’s Degree, Law School, Doctorate Degree etc. Whatever you decide to try, be the best at it. It becomes an advantage you can use in your cover letter - ‘I refused to be deterred by my poor performance in my first degree, and so I decided to pick myself up and work harder, and this time I am proud to say I graduated with a distinction in my master’s degree’, a line like this would move anybody. It shows that you are resilient and willing to learn. Do not let you self to be deterred by a bad result the first time you try.

Also, as a graduate, try to improve yourself professionally. Do not just sit there, content with the fact that your degree can get you a job. Take professional courses, write professional exams; make sure you keep yourself current and relevant in your chosen profession,

Internships and Volunteering

Take any opportunity you get as an undergrad, such as vacations and even the ASUU strike, to take up an internship in your area of interest.  Whether or not you are paid, the idea is to get useful, get your brain working but most importantly get the experience that employers look out for in prospective employees. This plan would also suit graduates who are still on the job market because an internship prepares you for real employment, and you stand to gain both the experience employers look out for and that needed to work with people from different backgrounds.

You may also choose to volunteer your services to organisations; in Nigeria these organisations are sometimes linked to religious bodies. In church, I recently joined the St Vincent De Paul Society. The society caters to the needs of the poor within the community. Our members can be called upon to render professional services at anytime for free. The beautiful thing is, while you are helping the poor, you are also enriching yourself with knowledge; you get to learn new things about your profession.

Internship and volunteering helps build your experience, confidence and knowledge. It also fosters public relations; you never know who you would meet and how they can help you. So if you are an undergrad with some time to spare or a graduate still on the job market, get busy, start asking your parents, friends of your parents, friends, neighbours and basically anyone you know who can help you get into an internship programme and also volunteer where you can.

Stoop to Conquer

This is directed mainly at the graduates. A lot of graduates remain on the job market because they refuse to ‘settle for less’ pay.
I my opinion,  it’s logical to earn peanuts, while availing yourself to the knowledge, experience and contacts that are attached to a job, than sit idle at home while waiting for that God sent and deserving  dream job. The get rich quick syndrome sometimes leaves us stagnated. If you humble yourself, you will realize that you can add value to yourself at the peanuts paying job and with the experience, knowledge and contacts gained therefrom, you will have an edge over other fresh, sit at home employees when your dream job eventually comes your way.

Learn to love that temporary Job

You might be offered a job you do not just like at all and yet you accept it due to surrounding circumstances in our society today, but because of your negative disposition towards the job, you will never give it your best; you do it just because you have to and would never yield results. On the other hand, when you learn and grow to love your job, it doesn’t even feel like a job anymore, you give it your all, you end up giving it your best and the results would speak for themselves. I know a friend who I might say was compelled to study law. He never liked the idea of litigation, but rather than stay idle at home while waiting for that Shell, Chevron, NCC or NNPC job, decided to join a law firm to keep busy.  While on it he accepted his fate, put in his best, chose to love the job and before long, bigger law firms with better pay packages started approaching him with offers. He started enjoying the benefits of hard work and in his words “Iphie it wasn’t easy, but it was worth it”. Today the thought of giving up law practice and litigation for any other job doesn’t go down well with him. Are you willing to put in that extra effort? Open your heart to accept and love the present opportunities that come your way. Just be positive because things can only get better.




The ideas discussed above stem from virtues that one must possess to successfully put these ideas to use.
Patience, Humility, Hard work and Positivity all pave way for financial stability and breakthrough.
In the quest for financial stability and breakthrough, you may choose to Start Your Own Business. Take a cue from our very brave YICs (Young and In Charge), featured on the blog on Mondays and start your own business. Use the experience, knowledge and contacts acquired from volunteering, internships and working at that job that used to pay you peanuts. Start small, but dream big. Never be ashamed to ask questions, never be ashamed to ask for help. I intend to start my own Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Consultancy Firm one day, so I have decided to work first, gain experience, knowledge and contacts to ensure that my business is not one of those that fail before it even takes off.

These are my opinions, nothing professional, but I hope it helps. Please feel free to share your experiences and suggestions on how to become a successful job hunter. Help others go from job hunter to employee/business owners.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truth said Iphie. I hope Nigerian Youths would listen. Welldone. Adesuwa Iluobe

Anonymous said...

Insightful!! A must read for the Nigerian Youth.
Amuta M.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click to help spread the word about us