Advertise with us, click to learn how.

Advertise with us, click to learn how.
Contact abjloving@gmail.com and adesuwailuobe@gmail.com

Monday, February 17, 2014

Young and In Charge: Ojimaojo Achema

Our young person of the week, is a young Nigerian who is using what he loves to spread the message of unity and national pride amongst Nigerians. With a childhood spent all over Nigeria with ‘uncles and aunties’ from diverse ethnicity, its no surprise that unity and national pride play a central role in his brand. Meet our young person of the week, Ojimaojo Achema, a politicial scientist, HR manager and a fashion designer, whose dream is to see Nigeria, united and for the youths to have an active part in the way we are governed.

Tell us a little about yourself please.

I am Ojimaojo Achema from Idah LGA in Kogi State. I am a political scientist, HR Manager and fashion designer. I am inspired by my background to create items which are modern and afro-centric. 




What was growing up like?

Growing up was fun and a little complicated. My late dad was a renowned politician from my state, as such we were always travelling and being part of different political campaigns. In fact, I joined PDP (then G-36 and PDM) at the tender age of fourteen (14). My dad had a large heart, as such, we had lots of people we did not even know sharing the house with us. It was fun because everyone was either an ‘Uncle’ or ‘Aunt’.

Tell us a little about your educational background?

I attended Primary School at the Federal Polytechnic Staff School Idah, then I proceeded to Federal Government College, Kwali, Abuja for my Secondary education. I read Political Science at University of Abuja, Gwagwalada and I have  a Master’s degree from Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge.
Despite going through all these schools, I always had a flair for fashion. Once the opportunity came for my ideas and designs to be showcased, I decided it was about time I followed my passion.

What is Dela Couture all about?

DELA Couture (WearEuphoria and Patriots Apparel) is a company with interests in the fashion industry. DELA Couture is an acronym for Distinct, Exquisite, and Luxury Attires. DELA is an idea from my passion, interests and love for the aforementioned activity which acts as the springboard and drive for success. Our products are in different categories ranging from afro-centric products, youthful, urban and trendy designs.  My objective is to create products which will be embraced by all cultures and nationalities worldwide.
You had a stint with Primark, did it motivate your move into the fashion industry? How have you used the experience you gained while working with Primark in your business?

Working with Primark did a lot more than motivate me. It built my self-awareness and confidence. I started as an HR intern, but ended up working through all departments especially retail. The experience gained from working with Primark is reflective in the designs and marketing style of my business. I clearly know the difference between a niche and mass market. Hence, the mixture of WearEuphoria (which is a niche label) and Patriots Apparel( aimed at the mass market).  

You went from Political Science to Human Resources Management then to fashion, how did you do that? What pushed you along these different paths? Any relationship amongst them?

A lot of things contributed to this. Political science was my first love. From when I was 10 years old, and attending political campaigns with my dad, I always wanted to be a politician. What better way to achieve this dream than to actually study it? So I got into University with the intention of learning the art of politicking and practicing it after my university education.
Reading Human resource management came as a result of my youth service year in Ecobank Nigeria. Our HR manager was a pretty lady (I had a crush on) who took time to show me the potentials of HR. After reading the course module introductions, I felt I could become a  great HR personnel too.
As for Fashion, I owe that to my mum. Apart from her love for clothes, she spoilt me with them as her only child. I had so many clothes as gifts from her. I was brand conscious. I would not wear any item if it was not a known label. Eventually, in the UK I had a six month stint as an intern with Primark while my friend was working with Hollister. It was these short six months which built the belief that I can also start something which people will love and buy. We thus floated WearEuphoria. 

 Do you intend to have a career in the courses you read in school? Do they have an impact on your business?

As earlier on mentioned, politics is a first love. I do have political aspirations. I feel that unless the youth are empowered and become the true ‘leaders of tomorrow’, Nigeria will continue to lag behind in the League of Nations. Take a look at developed countries today, how old are their leaders? Compare that to Nigeria and you will see why the country has continued to retrogress. Therefore, 2015 and 2019 is the time for youth to stand up and be counted.

How has the experience been like combining all of them?


The experience has been worthwhile. Being a political scientist, HR personnel and a clothing label owner has made me experience the different sides of humanity. These experiences are also visible in my designs and have aided me in becoming a better person than I was in my younger days.

What do you love most about what you do?

I would say it’s the joy and pride you get when you see people wearing your items or designs. It shows you actually know what you are doing and that motivates me.

What difficulties do you encounter in your business?

Every start-up business encounters loads of difficulties. Ranging from little or no capital, to PR, building a brand, and customer retention. All these issues have been part of the difficulties I have encountered. But I have continued to persevere and the good Lord has been helpful. I also have to thank my extended family and friends who have been there every day and have continued to encourage me at times when I have reached my lowest ebb.


Have you ever felt like giving up on your dreams?

I have felt like giving up. However, every time I reach that point, I think about what will happen if I do not inspire others with my business and success. 

What motivates you?

Firstly, Nigeria motivates me. I believe in this great country and will work for the betterment of its citizens and the projection of a good Nigeria to the outside world. Finally, designs, music, creative and intelligent people who have meaningful criticisms about my designs. 


How do you intend to bring about change, how do you intend to make a difference with what you do?

My Brand focuses on building national integrity, trust and togetherness. The idea behind this company is visible in the number of young, trendy students and professionals within Abuja and Nigeria. Nigeria is characterised by a blend of multi-cultures and people of different ethnicity and culture. The idea is to have a fashion label which appeals to these people. Our plan is to have a fashion label which will showcase and exhibit the different cultures of the Nigerian Populace. In essence, this clothing line revolves around creating national pride and integrity, togetherness and sowing seeds of acceptability within different people and cultures despite their differing ethnicities.

The Nigerian Fashion Industry is growing in leaps and bounds, what is your take on the industry?

I think we owe a lot to the designers who have overcome limitations and boundaries to create brands which have become national pride and have worldwide appeal. These designers have opened up the market and as such have inspired upcoming designers to see beyond dreaming to becoming realists. The industry will continue to grow and I foresee Nigerian Fashion having a prominent Fashion week like the New York, Milan and London Fashion week. 

How does your typical day go?

My typical day is hard to explain. I could start my day lazing around or out as early as 6am. It depends on my plans and appointments for the day. With entrepreneurs and business owners, you are accountable to yourself, as such, you own your day and you do what suits you.

What do you do for fun?

I watch Soccer (am an ardent Arsenal fan), Play Soccer and live soccer. You can also catch me playing FIFA 14 on PS4 (what a gaming experience!!!). I also read inspirational books, and listen to music.

With your level of success, people especially youths would be itching to know how old you are?

Wow. I am flattered. I am a year from three decades on earth.

Where do you see DELA Couture in five years?
Five years from now, we hope to be the brand or business that customers see as a necessity rather than luxury. This means as we continue to grow, we will have items that are customer focused and oriented. It is not just about acquiring profit nor having a good profit margin. With us, the customers pride, background and love for our items form the main recipe for our designs.  We want to be able to retain our customer’s patronage.

Where do you see yourself in the next five years?
I hope to be married (I already have someone who believes in me) with three beautiful kids, and a good business.

A word of advice to young Nigerian with dreams that they are yet to fulfil?

Everyone dreams, what differentiate dreams and reality is your self-belief in your dreams and your attempts to actualise your dreams. Secondly, you owe no one an explanation. Continue to persevere, and know there is no shortcut to success. 

This interview wouldn't be complete without pictures, so please enjoy.














Ojimaojo can by reached via:
Facebook: Ojimaojo Achema
                Euphoria Wear
Twitter: Ojimaojo
Phone Number: +2348077029706


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an eye opener to we youths out there that hard work not only pays but creates an avenue for innovation.. we celebrate you Ojimaojo Achema

Anonymous said...

Great persona, character and charisma. Keep on pushing man! I see you and God bless you.

Nkemjika said...

A good account of himself... a young mind doing positive thing. while I will hope to find DELA wear or is it wear euphoria as a household clothing brand, I will be elated to find find a politician of great noble repute because that would bring greater change to our people. God bless and strengthen your #handwork. Cheers!

NecFix said...

"I'm an ardent Arsenal fan".

End of. You're blessed bro :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click to help spread the word about us