Advertise with us, click to learn how.

Advertise with us, click to learn how.
Contact abjloving@gmail.com and adesuwailuobe@gmail.com

Monday, December 3, 2012

Young and In Charge: Joy Enechukwu

I have always known the name Osoke to mean 'shining star' or 'shining light. What this young lady does definitely turns her clients into stars. We bring you the story of Joy, whose love for what she does sees her braving the weather, the terrible load and all the troubles that come with travelling within Nigerian just to turn her clients into stars that shine so bright.
Tell us a little about yourself?
My name is Joy Enechukwu. I am from Delta state, a Christian and the 1st of 5 children. I've been in the make-up industry as a self-taught make-up artist for several years, and as a professional for 3 years. I pride myself on my reputation for being a perfectionist.

What was growing up like?
Couldn't have asked for a better family. My dad taught us the culture of reading and my mum taught us good manners. I also remember her delectable fried yam in the shape of perfect white cubes, crunchy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside. (Still can't wrap my head around how she cut them into perfect cubes). We had rewards for good report cards and Mr-Do-Good (cane) for when we misbehaved. Awesome parenting, healthy sibling rivalry (chuckling) and the best of schools.

Tell us a little about your educational background?
My primary education was at University of Lagos Staff Primary School, Idi Araba, Lagos. My secondary school was an interesting boarding experience at FGGC, Onitsha and then a Bsc Economics from UNN.

So what is Osoke all about? What does it mean and how did the name come about?
Osoke Make-up is all about making the best version of our clients possible with stunning results. Services include make-up for photo-shoots, weddings, engagements, fashion shows, carnivals & special occasions, make-up lessons, make-up kit revamps, headgear tying, airbrush tattoos and face painting. The name OSOKE refers to cinders that continue to glow, depicting in a way, the desired polished glow that my clients crave. The name choice arose from a mutual desire to immortalise my grandma's name.

How did you get into it?
I attended a somewhat happy-go-lucky wedding of a bride who was too gleeful to be bothered with make-up  She applied her casual everyday make-up  Dissatisfied, I made the best use of her crude make-up kit and gently transformed her into a princess. I spun her around to her mirror and she screamed in delight at her reflection. After that I was hooked. I went ahead to attend one of the most prestigious professional make-up schools in the country.

What is your typical day like?
On a typical day, I use my to-do list as a guide in prioritising my tasks. Then I pull out my list of dreams, freak out, and pray I achieve them all.

What do you love most about you what you do?
Customer satisfaction. I relish the look of awe on their faces when they can't stop looking at themselves in the mirror. Its delightfully gratifying.

What’s been your best work ever?
My best work ever would be the jobs I did at a make-up fair with my (then) instructor. I had lots of satisfied clients that day and learned to be efficient under pressure. It was a truly memorable experience.

What are the difficulties involved?
I've worked with a slew of (what I call) Diva clients but nothing beats a disgruntled bridezilla! Other difficulties are travelling in the scorching heat, in the rain, defying floods, through conflict-torn terror-stricken areas and difficult terrains with inaccessible roads to get to some pretty remote locations especially for engagements and traditional weddings.

If you weren't doing this, what would you have been doing?
I'm a die-hard culinary enthusiast, so if I wasn't doing this, I'd be a restaurateur  pleasing palates with delectable meals in my restaurant.

Have you ever felt like giving up on Osoke?
Never.

Who or what inspires you?
My parents are my inspiration; a firm foundation through all my storms in life, sturdy hands to hold in times of stress and strife, the strongest and wisest people I know. The incredible duo!

Considering the level of success you have attained, youths out there would be itching to know how old you are.
Late twenties.

Asides work, what do you do for fun?
Shop till I drop! Absolutely love to splurge on fashion pieces. Also a thrill seeker. (I'll be the screamer on the roller coasters. Lol!) And of course, exploring the city's gourmet restaurants with my fellow culinary enthusiasts.

Advice to youths that wish to follow in your footsteps.
First of all, you've got to love it. Use good products and treat your clients like you would like to be treated.

Where do you see yourself and Osoke five years from now?
In 5years, I see Osoke as a major contender in the beauty industry. (Fluttering my eyelashes!)

Happy Customers.



















Contact Information:
BB - 2827DB9D
Email - dtraceye@yahoo.com
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/jay.enechukwu
Phone no - 08033813779

11 comments:

jones odawe said...

Wow,am motivated. Nice work joy

Ogba said...

Gifted hands. I'm still yet to learn the art of make-up. Its not an easy thing to do. Good job Joy. May your hands continue to be blessed.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Nice piece. May God bless ur work & efforts!

Joy said...

Thank u everyone!

usman Yaks said...

Wat a 1daful way to show ur talents (makeup).Our good Lord shall continue to bless and give you the strength to carry on,ameen..keep up the good work.

Chuka said...

Awesome! Keep it up ObiOma m! You are there.

Cee said...

EXQUISITE! Your work is simply that. You are a perfectionist and a go-getter. I pray your dreams for Osoke come to fruition.
KUDOS Joy :D

Harrison said...

Nice work..... You've got the Mida's Touch

chinwe said...

Wow!this is good. Keep it up gal.

Anozie Ezihe said...

I wish u all the best.God ll lift u up to heights u ll neva imagine.keep it up

Make Up School In London said...

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to mention that I have truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.I’m hoping you write once more very soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click to help spread the word about us