Advertise with us, click to learn how.

Advertise with us, click to learn how.
Contact abjloving@gmail.com and adesuwailuobe@gmail.com

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Just my 2kobo: Call it what you want

BY EHINOME
So I took a bus today from Federal Housing kubwa, to Zuba. For those of us that move around in buses, you would agree with me that its not much of a distance, and its fare shouldn't cost more than the lowest denomination of Mtn's recharge card..and maybe because of the-for-no-real-reason fuel scarcity, it could be 50naira over.

With that in mind I settled in the bus and made a mental note about the scorching sun, before I got too comfortable I asked the bus conductor "how much?"
"200naira!" He spat... And he peered at me..you know when someone says something and looks at you to be sure you took it well...that was the look he gave me.

I look at him..long and hard. And I repeated "200naira?", he felt my piercing gaze and so focused on something else. I noticed other passengers had gotten interested, one even hissed. The conductor was out to cheat me, but if I wouldn't talk for myself, who are they to?

I was going to say a whole load of stuff, but when I looked at this conductor, all I saw was a Nigerian taking out his frustrations on others. Even if you want to cheat, '50naira!?' Okay, maybe if he collects that from 10 people or more for that day, he would have a sizeable sum to his name. Though I am sorry to say, that money may not do much for him. He may probably "shark up" his system with it at close of work.

Nigerians?! We just like to escalate issues. The funniest thing is, its those who do not earn "so much" that do this, to those they feel are well off...what sinking self esteems! With many people with such esteems parading all over the place, I should say, am very afraid. Why, because, I can buy a flashy-looking-maybe-fake "chanel" bag with myt last cash, and my saloonist would see and charge me 5000naira to wash and set my hair...ladies can relate to this.

A conductor's bus is his office, a tomato seller's shed is her lounge..and so on.  So if "things are hard" as we like to say it, and you go near some of these people they could rip you off.

I don't know if you who's reading or if even I who is writing this article  is ripping people off, all because we want to prey on the situation of our country, but it has dawned on me, we wouldn't go far by doing so.



1 comment:

Genny said...

True talk... Can u imagine a bikeman not wntin 2 give me change, his excuse being that am a corper... I guess u can imagine the rest of the story... Point is, ppl will always defraud ppl on the pretense that you wldnt mind and ure better off... But I'll always fight for what's mine...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click to help spread the word about us