Advertise with us, click to learn how.

Advertise with us, click to learn how.
Contact abjloving@gmail.com and adesuwailuobe@gmail.com

Monday, November 26, 2012

Young and In Charge: Toritseju Onwubiko


When I first heard of Toju, the first thing that came to my mind was 'jack of all trades, master of none', I mean there was no way one person could have his hands in all these things and be a master of any of them. Now I cover my eyes in shame, how did I even think that. As I got to know him over the course of this interview, I got to see a young man passionate about what he does, not only passionate but also dedicated to what he does. All I can say to myself is, 'Iphie, how did you come up with that statement'. As you would get to see while reading his interview, Toju has perfected the act of balancing all these art and has become a master in the various field.

Tell us a little about yourself?
I  am Toritseju Onwubiko ‘Jnr (Toju for short). I  Come from a family of six, mum, dad and three gorgeous troublesome sisters. As a person, I’m a realist, very sarcastic and I love to mind my business.... that’s as “little” as it gets, and oh! I was born in J TOWN (Jos)!
Toju



Your name sounds very 'Nigerian', Toritseju Onwubiko, that's Igbo and Itsekiri right, we are curious to know the origin.
Let's just say I come from a very "mixed" family dating generations (we've always inter married). I've got fulani n yoruba blood too.... I guess they had so much game that ladies from other tribes couldn't resist... Its inherent in us! (Laughs)


What was growing up like?
In a word, strict! Popsy was the “Don corleon”, Barbara was the “evil younger sister always out to see me cry” mum was the “cushion”. But looking back, it was fun. Vacations (not to London o!), gifts, games, outdoor play time, friends, music and lots of drawing...

Tell us a little about your educational background?
I finished my from FGC Kwali Abuja (back in the day when the uniform was all white, boys were smart and the ladies were pretty as hell), then went on to study architecture in FUT Minna (both first and second degree). ....... and oh, I  didn't write NECO!!! (Laughing hard, every pun intended).

You are an architect, 3D/Graphic designer, a writer and a photographer. Can you tell us about these?
Phew!!  putting it like that makes it sound like a lot. I just like to think of myself as a very creative “fella” thus the various “diversifications”. I’m a lover of the art, so a lot of stuff comes naturally. As an architect, your sole aim is to sell your work to your client and doing a 3D is a form of presentation tool that clients can readily relate to (whether its interior or exterior) and appreciate it unlike 2D’s that is more technical. So I don’t see myself as a “3D designer” it comes with the job. As for the “others”, they all started as hobbies and stuff that I did just for fun and with time people started wanting my help, of course at first for free but in due time I realized I could charge people for these services and that was it. At the end of the day, if you look at what I do, it all takes its root from art.

You studied architecture, 3D designing is sort of related to this. So we are itching to know how photography, Graphic design and writing came into the mix?
Well, as a kid growing up I drew and painted a lot so; being a graphic designer was easy, designing logos, brochures, flyers and the rest was like chewing bubble gum. I could look at stuff and think of a million ways it could possibly turn out.
Photography started as a hobby too, I have the knack to see the moment and capturing it. It started with still photography and moved on. For instance, it’s just fulfilling for you to see maybe a warm embrace between friends or even a conductor hanging out of his bus and you capture it. It is timeless, its emotions and moments paused for ever.
Finally writing, my mum was into literature so, growing up I was surrounded with lots of literature books. My dad on the other hand, was more into “commercial books” and comic books (I still remember “Benbella” from back in the day), so I read alot. I guess being the only guy in the family also contributed ‘cause while the girls played and “cooked eba and egusi soup” with grass n sand, I would talk to myself and make up stories just to amuse myself and kill time.... and so my imagination grew. Today I manage a blog and also develop content for TV and radio shows.

What is your typical day like?
I don’t think I have a typical day, sometimes I wake up by 11am (bliss right?I can imagine the hissing and beefing going on now), sometimes I watch movies the whole day, yes, even on Mondays. But then, most times I’m awake by 4am (Aha, now you can’t talk again ba?) drawing, meeting deadlines, having presentations, having maybe a coke the whole day just because I’m too busy to eat or leave my system.....I guess its life.

In these four spheres, what are your best works ever?
(thinking)...... Seriously?  Omo! that question hard o!  let’s see..
Architecture: I guess it would be between designing Zamfara International Airport and the Cathedral Anglican Fellowship of Nigeria (CAFON) church. We were “crazy” with the design. I remember in the case of CAFON, the structural engineers said it was impossible for the structure to stand without throwing in columns everywhere but we proved them wrong and showed them how it would be possible.

Photography: I was one would be a picture taken in Bayelsa in a remote village, this dude was obviously fed up and was having a cigarette under a palm tree, I captured that. It was African, Nigerian and beautiful. I've done lot of works sha, even covering weddings.

Graphic Designing: I did this logo once for this client, she had met several people and still hadn’t gotten what she wanted and then she asked me to do something. In about an hour I gave her an option, she so loved it that I was embarrassed. I guess that’s why I’ll pick that.

Writing: Content wise; being part of the team that developed content for an upcoming reality show
As regards actual writing; I guess “Free falling” is one of my favourite pieces in recent times.

What are the difficulties involved in these fields?
Well, difficult clients, stingy clients that won’t pay (squeezes face),  yet they want the world, meeting deadlines, long nights up, of course sometimes even getting jobs to do sef....

How do you juggle being an architect, writer, graphic designer and a photographer?
It’s not easy at all o, but here’s the thing, you can’t do it all yourself. With time you learn to let go of some jobs or give out some. Good time management is also a plus and I guess being straight forward from the beginning also helps. Letting your client know that he wanting a job in 3 days would not be possible but you can do 5 or 6 days. That way, you’ll disappoint less and the client knows what’s up.  Happy clients always come back or at least refer others to you.

Which of them do you find most challenging?
They all have their challenges so I wouldn't pick any to be the most challenging.

Which of these is the Top most on your list of priorities? Which do you love the most?
I guess I’ll say architecture is taking priority, because I do the others as side hustle. My company ICRE8 (I create) is basically space management/architecture. We don’t only design your day to day buildings, we also design your interior space n show you what it should be like. So I guess priority lies with architecture. But as to which I love the most ... Come on! You don’t tell a father to choose between his kids. I love none more than the other.

Have you ever felt like giving up on any?
Not really. You get tired, you get frustrated, but once the job comes even if it takes forever, you do it.

Who or what inspires you?
Life generally.  My environment, my experiences.

Asides work, what do you do for fun?
I listen to music, I do movies, I hang up with friends (my favourite), I party with friends too.

Youths out there would be curious to know your age. Would you tell?
(Yimu)  I’m not yet 30, older than 25 but I look 20 or younger sef.. (Rick Ross grunt)

Advice to youths that wish to follow in your footsteps.
(Laughs hard) Follow in my footsteps? Don’t follow in my footsteps oh! I'm still learning the ropes and making my mistakes, getting stupid and lame advice  still being owed money, I don’t have a hummer, I still get broke like ba kudu, shishi, but I could teach you how to charm a lady though... (Anyone interested?).
The only thing I’ll say is no knowledge or skill is a waste it always could come in handy some time, perfect your hobbies, they could be your life saver with time, have at least a friend that would always tell you the truth cause trust me, you never see yourself falling, you just find yourself in the gutter. Also, as much as possible when dealing with clients always try and collect a “mobilization fee” before you start work o! (At least between 50 to 70%) otherwise, most of them will never pay up (even pastors too). And most importantly be careful who you give your heart to, it could mess you up.

Where do you see yourself in the next five years?
I'm not falling for this again, the last time I did this, five years after i was not even close. So this is what I’ll say (drum rolling, orchestra playing, Wande coal screaming “Are you ready for this”, Chris brown dancing) *coughs* Well, in five years I would definitely not be where I am today, by Gods grace, I would be smiling to the bank with Ariana (that’s my daughter) *winks* (and let the people of God shout a big resounding AMEN!).......


You speak of Arianna, our female readers would like to know if you are still on the 'market'? 
Do we ever leave the market? Even if we ain't buying, we're "window shopping". Anyway.  I'm not married. Arianna's the name of my unborn child (grins... I've got all their names figured out already).

As usual, pictures speak a thousand words

PHOTOGRAPHY






3D DESIGN




Toju
Toju can be reached on:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/tojubikz
Email: teejaysmail@gmail.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thisistoju
Toju's blog: http://confessionsofanartaddict.wordpress.com/







6 comments:

Princess said...

I always dreamed of marrying someone like this. One question missing "what attracts you to a lady?". And am sure we can come 2 a compromise on the names of our babies. And I love photography we can bond over that #smiles#

Pheee said...

Lol Toju, hope you have seen this, Princess and a host of other ladies am sure, would like to know what attracts you to a woman.

Ella said...

Wow! i simply love dis dude! He sweeps me off my feet! #swooning#LMAO. i hav a thousand απϑ 1 ideas απϑ always thot i couldn't juggle dem Ą̸̸̸ℓℓ but i am proven wrong now απϑ motivated to carry  wt my dreams! Keep it up! i love ur sincerity απϑ openness towards ur jobs. By the way,Babara where hav u been hiding dis brother of urs? (Raised eyebrow) απϑ princess u aint the only chic  his case,i am too! Everyone else take note or u risk seeing my fury! (Laughing hard). @ toju, i think Ariana is just perfect for her. We won't hav to change it. *winks* ....Ella.

Barbra said...

"Barbara was the “evil younger sister always out to see me cry...” Me ba? +2

Genevieve said...

*cant stop laughing* kip up the good work Toju...(I dnt hv d energy 2 fight anyone, so I tnk I'll pass) ℓ☺ℓ!

Ogba said...

Finding the perfect balance when you have so many things to do is a nightmare. Toju is just plainly exceptional at what he does. In 5 years, you won't believe where you will be. Best wishes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click to help spread the word about us